Friday, March 26, 2010

Flower Plant Wedding Present

My sister-in-law is getting married soon and I wanted to make her something for her shower. I had this old clay pot that wasn't doing anything and I thought it would be cute to use. I also wanted to use some mod podge and the rest of my river stones from my Bathroom Makeover project. Here's what I came up with :)

Materials:
~ Clay pot
~ Fake flowers
~ Newspaper
~ Styrofoam
~ Craft Paper
~ Mod Podge

I bought some cute light-blue argyle craft paper at Hob Lob for only 35 cents. I wrote "Love Blossoms Eternally" and mod podged it onto the front of the pot. I think it's way cute but I hope it's not too cheesy!
Next step was to stick the flowers in the pot. I started out stuffing newspaper inside the pot because I didn't have very many rocks but the flowers didn't stick in very well when I did this. So I went to Hobby Lobby (for the second time today! Seriously I think I'm getting an addiction!) and bought a little round styrofoam to put inside. I still did keep some of the newspaper stacked inside so the styrofoam was close enough to the top. I realized that even after I put in the river stones you could still see the newspaper, so I cut out a circular piece of white paper, painted it brown, and set it inside on top of the styrofoam. I cut up the flower stems using wire cutters and stuck them in the styrofoam! Voila!

Here's me stuffing newspaper inside the pot. I folded it up and placed it on the bottom of the pot. (Apparently this is also an advertisement for Charmin :) haha)


Here's my circular piece of paper that helped cover all that newspaper and styrofoam.



Here's the end product :)

Total Cost:
~ Clay pot: $0.00
~ Fake flowers: $4.00
~ Newspaper: $0.00
~ Styrofoam: $1.89
~ Craft Paper: $0.35
~ Mod Podge: $0.00

Flower Plant Wedding Present: Total Cost ~ $6.24

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I love the way the rocks look in this. It's gorgeous!

The Byrd Family said...

What is mod podge? And I LOVE the flowers you chose. So beautiful.