Monday, April 19, 2010

Christ collage

My husband had a calendar from when he served a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (visit mormon.org to find out more about the church). The calendar was pictures of the Savior and he loved the pictures and so he had held onto them for a few years. I really liked the pictures too but didn't know what to do with them because they're quite large and you can tell they've been ripped from a magazine. Well, my husband gave me the idea of putting together a collage of Christ. The small pictures that I used in this collage also came from my husband. I'm actually not sure where he got them, but they worked perfectly. This was a great project to do! I loved it! I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and I know that through Him we can be comforted, forgiven, and even raised from the dead. I hope you enjoy this.

Materials:
~Picture frame
~Old calendar pictures
~Smaller pictures
~hot glue

I went and found this picture frame at DI for $5.00! It was perfect and in great condition. If you're willing to sift through things, you can sure find a lot at thrift stores! :) The only bad thing is that the backing is just cardboard and there's no glass. I bought some Scotch tape double-sided squares to put up the pictures but the tape isn't very strong so the pictures keep falling. I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to add some dabs of hot glue on the corners of these pictures and hopefully they'll stay up better. Next I decided which pictures I wanted as the main focus and then measured all the pictures to see how much I could cut off the sides. I didn't end up using all of the pictures he had saved, but I got in the favorites at least. Maybe I'll make a 2nd edition someday :) I put all the big pictures on and then realized it needed something else. You could tell that I had just put together some pictures side-by-side, it didn't have that collage look that I was going for. So I told my husband that I wanted to go buy some little pictures of Christ and he pulled out about 10 that he had! Perfect! They added just the right touch :)


Isn't this frame beautiful?

One of the small pictures I added

Since these big pictures were taken from a calendar they had the little holes in the top to hang on the wall. I obviously wanted to cover them up! Who wants holes in their collage?

This small picture is set right over the hole of the big calendar picture. Now you can't see it :)

The end product...what do you think?

Cost:
~Picture frame: $5.00
~Calendar pictures: $0.00
~Small pictures: $0.00
~Scotch tape (which I didn't use but I did buy, so I have to add it into the cost): $2.00
~Hot glue: $0.00

Christ Collage: Total Cost ~ $7.00

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Looks beautiful, I would love to have that in my home!