Monday, March 1, 2010

Re-covered pillow

My husband and I bought our sofa and loveseat on ksl classifieds for $50 total! They're quite comfortable and you can't even tell they're ugly with the couch covers we bought. (FYI--couch covers are expensive! We paid more for them than for the couches! Luckily we still had gift cards at BB&B so we didn't have to spend any of our money. Beware of this in the future to anyone thinking about couch covers!) They did come with pillows, but these were ugly too. I wasn't going to have pillows but I decided that I really like the added look that pillows can give to a couch--especially the way cool pillows I saw on Make it and Love it! (Click HERE to check out her pillows!) Tonight I used my new sewing machine for my first project! (Hallelujah! I didn't even have to unpick once! I honestly think that's the first time for me). Here is my first pillow. There will be more to follow.

Materials:
~old pillows that need re-covering
~scrap fabric

I kind-of followed this tutorial but I did change it a little bit. First, take off the existing cover on your pillow and measure it. Add about 1/2 inch on all sides for a seam allowance. Cut out two pieces this same size and pin them right sides together. Sew around the edge leaving about 5 inches to stuff in the pillow. Turn it right-side-out, stuff the pillow in and hand-stitch the remaining 5 inches of the pillow case. (The main fabric I wanted to use is quite sheer so I made two pillow cases--just a white pillow case first and then the gold one to go on top.)



Old, ugly pillows.


Sorry this is blurry but this is my white pillowcase that I made first to go under the sheer gold one.


My Bernette hard at work! :)
Can you tell that I'm WAY excited to have this?!


My beautiful new pillow that matches my couch and adds a spice of home to my living room!

Cost:
~ old pillows - $0.00
~ scrap fabric - $0.00

Re-covered Pillows: Total Cost ~ $0.00!

2 comments:

The Byrd Family said...

Rach! Just a the other day, I was looking at our old couch pillows and thinking I should recover them instead of just getting rid of them, but I was kind of intimidated by that. Now I have an online tutorial, and probably a willing phone tutor as well :)

You're amazing, and the pillow (and couch!) looks great!

Becky said...

very beautiful Rach. Good use of that old fabric!