Friday, March 12, 2010

Bulletin Board

For Christmas my husband and I were on his sister's family for gifts. We are supposed to hand-make our gifts and we decided to make her and her family a bulletin board for their kitchen. I liked it so much I decided I wanted one too. So I went to DI and bought this cork board for $2.00, used some scrap fabric, ribbon and...voila!

Materials:
~ cork board
~ scrap fabric
~ hot glue gun
~ ribbon

Cut the fabric to the size you need for the board. If you don't like the edges of your board you can just place ribbon over it to cover the ugly edge (which is what I did for my sister-in-law's gift since it was just metal). If you like the edge, however, then fold down the edges of the cloth and iron them down. This will give the edges of your cloth a nice, even look instead of the raw edge you cut out. The edge of my board matched my fabric perfectly so I wanted to show it off instead of covering it with a ribbon. (I used left-over ribbon for my sister-in-law's but had to go buy some more for mine.) Tack down the cloth with some hot glue (or whatever you have). Then take ribbon and lay it across the board to create specified sections. Then make labels and place them in each section.


I ironed down the edges of the fabric to give it a nice, even look.


Doesn't the fabric match the edge perfectly!! I was so excited when I laid the fabric down and saw how well they went together!



I just wrote my labels. I did print them for my sister-in-law though.


What do you think? The four sections I have on mine are "Calendar, To-Do, Shopping, and Quote." For my sister-in-law we did six sections, "Calendar, To-Do List, Shopping List, Quote, Family Picture, and Kid's Corner (for report cards, pictures drawn by the kids, etc)."


Here's a picture of the one we gave my sister-in-law. You can't see the edges very well, but can you tell we just hot-glued the ribbon all the way around? It worked out really well.

Cost:
cork board ~ $2.00
ribbon ~ $1.00
labels ~ $0.00

Bulletin Board: Total Cost ~ $3.00

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Wow! you post so much I can't even keep up with all of them! All I can say is you are CREATIVE! I would like you to make double of everything you make here. That way, I can have all of them too :) Thanks! :)