Friday, August 6, 2010

Sewing Snip-Its

I went to my last sewing lesson yesterday. I am so close to finishing my table runner quilt! I can't wait to show it to you all. I didn't specifically learn anything yesterday, but here are just some general things that I've learned about sewing:

1. I can do a lot more than I thought I could! It's like anything else, it just takes practice. Duh right? haha, I guess I just wasn't willing to put in the time before. I wanted to be good right away.
2. Getting to know your machine can help you so much!
3. You don't have to go fast. I used to try and sew really quickly, try and take the pins out without stopping, etc. But I just need to slow down. I'm not trying to impress anyone, I'm just trying to make something beautiful. As with many things in life, faster does not mean better.
4. Follow patterns, but don't be afraid to change it a little to fit your personality.
5. And the two things that have saved me from all the jamming that used to happen to me!
-Make sure the thread uptake is all the way up before you start sewing
-Hold the bobbin and needle threads when you start so they don't get caught underneath.
(These 2 things are so simple and can save A LOT of trouble!)

Thank you so much to my in-laws, my wonderful husband, and my parents for getting me my sewing machine and the lessons. I've loved them and learned a lot! I've also gained a lot of confidence which is very important :) I love you guys! THANKS!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Yay Rachel! We should have a sewing party sometime!