Friday, August 6, 2010

Enjoy the Journey Clock

I got this idea from Less Than Perfect Life Of Bliss. You can see her original post here

When I saw this project I knew that it was something I wanted to do! We own two clocks so I started deciding which one to use. I hadn't mentioned anything to my husband but he is so supportive I knew that he wouldn't really care if I took our clock apart and totally re-did it :) ...as long as I could put it back together! I took the clock apart and had it sitting out on the table when C. got home from work. He took one look at it and just started smiling and asking me what I was planning next. He's awesome!
Materials:~ Clock~ Map~ Mod Podge~ Scrapbook Paper
Like I mentioned before I got this idea off another blog but, true to form I changed it a little bit. Where's the fun in making something if you don't add a little of you in it right? The first step was to take apart the clock. I should have taken a picture of this, it was actually kind of fun! Just remember how to put it back together!

I went and bought a road map at the gas station and traced out how big of a space I would need for the face. I loved her idea of cutting out a map of where she met her husband. I cut a little slit in it so I could fit it over the arms of the clock. I wanted to still be able to tell what time it is, so I drew out the 12, 6, and 9 (something else was over the 3 spot...stay tuned to find out what! haha) and then drew little lines for the other numbers.

I wanted to add something extra special and I have always loved quotes. So I decided to add a quote onto my map dedicated to my husband. This is the one I decided on. I love it! Life is a journey and I'm so grateful that I have someone so wonderful to share it with!
"The trick, my brethren and sisters, is to enjoy the journey, traveling hand in hand, in sunshine and storm, as companions who love one another." -President Gordon B. Hinckley

After all the drawing I went ahead and mod podged the map onto the face of the clock.

I wanted to change the border of my clock too. I found the perfect scrapbook paper at Hobby Lobby! It has letters and postcards and stamps...all things having to do with travel. So cut out strips and mod podged that all the way around the outside of the clock.

After the mod podge was dry I took a sewing pin with a big head and cut off the pin part. Then I super-glued it to where I first met C.
I put the clock back together and showed it off to my hubby :)


Total Cost:
~Clock: $0.00
~Map: $4.00
~Mod Podge: $0.00
~Scrapbook Paper: $0.59

Enjoy the Journey Clock: Total Cost ~ $4.59

4 comments:

Heather said...

This is awesome Rachel! I think I might have to copy you on this one!

Amy said...

Hi Rachel, this is Amy Nash, Jess's little sister! I love crafts so she told me about your blog, I hope you don't mind! I love it! You have awesome ideas!! :)

Rachel said...

Amy, of course I don't mind that you got on my blog! It makes me excited to have people see it. What kind of crafts do you like? I'd love to see them sometime. Thanks for the compliments!

Heidi said...

This turned out great! I love the idea behind it.