Saturday, June 12, 2010

Shower Curtain--Finally Done!

This project took me a lot longer than I expected but I do really like the end result--so it's all worth it! Here's what you need to do your own...

Materials:
~Shower curtain that needs some re-vamping
~Fabric
~Ribbon (optional)

I've wanted to spice up my upstairs bathroom so I was thinking of how I could work with the things I already have. I love our shower curtain but it is kind of plain, so I got this picture in my mind of how I could add something to it. So our shower curtain was like this...

Not bad, but it could definitely use some flare! I love the color red, I think it adds a lot of pop and pazzaz to things really quickly!! I decided I wanted to add a strip of red fabric across the top of my shower curtain!

I found the perfect fabric at Hob Lob (one of my favorite places! It's a good thing I live just a few minutes away from one!) The fabric was a crimson red and it was ON SALE! I got 2 yards for $4.45! Perfect color and a perfect price...a perfect combo! I got something that was machine washable (I chose cotton) so that I could throw it in the wash every so often. Also, make sure you don't get a stiff fabric or else it won't hang very well. I measured out the fabric and then folded over the raw edges and ironed them down.

I went upstairs to use to my beautiful sewing machine and there I ran into a problem... Since my shower curtain is vinyl it wouldn't run through the feed of the sewing machine!!! I realized that I was going to have to hand-stitch the whole thing! I don't know about you, but I'm awful at hand-stitching. As you can see here, my stitches are uneven, crooked, and to top it off, my thread's the wrong color!! ... (Don't worry I fixed that later)

I was determined to finish though, so I buckled down and got to work. I stitched the fabric around the edges and then decided to add a black ribbon around the edge as well. This was for two reasons: 1-I really liked how it added a crispness to the look, and 2-to hide my awful hand-stitching! It's hard to see black stitches on black ribbon :) Phew!!
So I now have a beautiful new shower curtain and I can appreciate it even more because I WORKED HARD on it! (It was definitely worth it though!)

Here is the end result...

I don't know if you can tell on this one, but the fabric matches my rug PERFECTLY!!!! Hallelujah :)
(And I know...the rest of my bathroom is so blank! I definitely need something above the toilet. Don't worry :) I've got something in the works already!!)


What do you think?! Here's the price tally...

Shower Curtain:
~Shower curtain: $0.00
~Fabric: $4.45
~Ribbon: $2.12 (also on sale!)

Shower Curtain Re-Vamping: Total Cost ~ $6.67

2 comments:

Heidi said...

That looks so good! Taylor said "Oh wow!" It makes such a difference and looks so professional!

Becky said...

You told me about this, but I didn't really get it until I saw these pictures. It looks great! You are an inspiration!