Monday, January 18, 2010

Feather and Candle Block Frames

Haha, sorry I don't have cool names for any of these! This one was so much fun though! I found these block frame things at DI and knew they'd make a great craft. So I bought them and went to Hobby Lobby to figure out what to put inside!

Materials:
~2 block frames (do these have an official name?)
~2 feather flowers (again--do these have an official name?)
~candles
~paint
~paintbrush

I wanted to paint these block frames brown but I only had $1.36 left in my budget so I bought some paint for 71 cents and then used a sponge as my paint brush! It actually ended up making it look kind of like a stain which was cool. The original color was pretty, it just had some dings and I wanted it a little darker to match my room better. I think the sponged on paint worked quite nicely :) Next I cut the stems off the feather flowers so they would fit inside the block frames and I even had to trim one to fit inside the smaller frame. The candles I bought were the perfect size but they came in way ugly aluminum covers. So I took them out and threw the cheap aluminum covers away! I decided though, that without the wick (which came out with the aluminum), the candles looked like small bars of soap. I needed to somehow replace the wick. So I cut up the stem that I had taken off the feather flowers and stuck them in the middle for my homemade wicks :) All I had left to do was drill everything in place! So I got my husband's drill bits and started making the holes. I stuck everything in and voila! Beautiful new frames to put on my walls! What do you think?






Don't they look SOO much better painted?!



That cheap aluminum HAD to go!

Aren't they absolutely beautiful! I LOVE them! I hope I'm not bragging, I'm just so excited they turned out so well!!

Cost:
Block frames: $2.00 for large, $1.50 for small
Feather Flowers: $2.12
Candles: $0.77
Paint: $0.71

Feather and Candle Block Frames ~ Total Cost: $7.10

3 comments:

Heidi said...

These look SO good! Awesome job Ray. You're right, the boxes look tons better painted! I love it. I seriously can't believe how cheap this was! I'm excited for this new addition to your apartment ;)

The Byrd Family said...

They are beautiful! I have no idea how you got the idea - you have VISION! Amazing :)

Becky said...

They turned out great!! I'm excited to see them in real life. You got them done quick--I'm impressed! Way to have the vision!
Love you!